Antique Gregg MFG. Ski Co. Skis
c. 1940's, 20th century
Wood, Metal, Leather
82"l x 3.5"w
© Vintage Winter
A wonderful example of Gregg Mfg. Ski Co. skis '879' Slalom model - made from Hickory. They are in very good condition with perfect Gregg labels and original Kandahar metal bindings (but missing the bear trap cables). A "fix" was in progress on these skis - notice the epoxy being applied to keep the metal edge intact. A wonderful set of early 1940's old wood skis.
Gregg Manufacturing started out as a farm implement manufacturing company and began making wooden skis for the Dartmouth Cooperative Society in Hanover, NH in 1919. Demand grew into the 1930s and Gregg Skis was one of the three major suppliers of skis for the 10th Mtn. Div. during WW2. Gregg also made toboggans.
In 1953, when the Northland/Lund Ski factory burned to the ground in North St. Paul, MN, Christian Lund promptly bought Gregg Ski Manufacturing, so that he could continue to make skis. Within three weeks from his own factory burning, he started making skis again in the existing Gregg factory in St. Paul. As of 1954, Gregg Manufacturing was no longer in business.
Harry Holmberg worked as a ski engineer and designer for Gregg skis in St. Paul. Harry's brother, Hartvig “Hart” Holmberg, opened a carpentry shop in St. Paul, MN in 1943. Harry called upon Hartvig’s manufacturing skills and together they began working on a prototype, metal-edged ski. After three years of creating and refining, Hartvig, Harry and friend Ed Bjork were ready. In 1955 the first "Hart" metal-edged ski was introduced.
Gregg Manufacturing bought lumber for their skis from Opelousas, LA. The Thistlethwaite Lumber Company was located in Opelousas and was founded by John R. Thistlethwaite. The lumber company and saw mill ran from 1917 thru the late 1930s.
Original text courtesy of Greg Fangel of WoodenSkis.com