Old Wooden Burton Londonderry Snowboard BBI Backhill
Wood, metal, rubber
51"l x 7.75"w
© Vintage Winter
This vintage Burton snowboard comes to us from a longtime winter enthusiast in the state of Illinois. As the story goes he saw an ad in Skateboarder magazine back in 78/79 and bought it to use on the interstate overpasses and a few hills around his house just outside of Chicago (see his original candid photos). Albeit faded graphics, a piece of broken plastic on the power cord handle and a bit of damage to the tail, this board is in great condition. It has been meticulously preserved by a trained museum curator with a microcrystalline wax polish. Ready to hang in your collection!
Below is the text from the original 1979-80 winter season Burton Boards brochure.
The Backhill model is the ideal all-around board. Adjustable bindings facilitate learning the sport and enable the rider to handle difficult terrain and aerials. A great board in deep powder, yet equally capable in slushy bumps and packed snow.
Weight with bindings mounted: 5lbs. 11oz.
- Removable power leash with molded pistol grip handle.
- Twin aluminum fins constructed of aircraft aluminum alloy, bolted to the board with stainless steel bolts and elastic stop nuts.
- Continuously adjustable front binding constructed of black neoprene rubber, fastened down by aluminum binding plates and stainless steel thumb screws, threaded into brass inserts (recessed).
- Rear binding constructed of pure gum rubber permanently fastened to the board with aluminum binding plates. Designed to accommodate any size shoe or boot.
- Anti-skid matting specially designed for use in snow, constructed of extruded sponge vinyl.
- Safety run away strap.
- Available in right or left foot forward position. Left foot forward is preferred by 90% of all riders.
- Stiffer models available for those over 180 lbs.
The Burton Corporation
Londonderry, Vermont 05148
Vintage Burton Snowboard Catalog c. 1979-80.