Antique Gregg MFG. Ski Co. Skis
c. 1940's, 20th century
Wood, Metal, Leather
77"l x 3"w x 3"h
© Vintage Winter
A wonderful example of Gregg Mfg. Ski Co. skis 'Victor' model made from Hickory in St. Paul Minnesota. They are in excellent condition with amazing labels, original metal bindings and have been preserved with our natural oil and beeswax finish. A wonderful set of early 1940's old wood skis.
Gregg Manufacturing started out as a farm implement manufacturing
company and began making wooden skis for the Dartmouth Cooperative Society
in Hanover, NH in 1919. Demand grew into the 1930s and Gregg Skis was
one of the three major suppliers of skis for the 10th Mtn. Div. during
WW2. Gregg also made toboggans.
In 1953, when the Northland/Lund Ski factory burned to
the ground in North St. Paul, MN, Christian Lund promptly bought Gregg
Ski Manufacturing, so that he could continue to make skis. Within three
weeks from his own factory burning, he started making skis again in
the existing Gregg factory in St. Paul. As of 1954, Gregg Manufacturing
was no longer in business.
Harry Holmberg worked as a ski engineer and designer for
Gregg skis in St. Paul. Harry's brother, Hartvig “Hart”
Holmberg, opened a carpentry shop in St. Paul, MN in 1943. Harry called
upon Hartvig’s manufacturing skills and together they began working
on a prototype, metal-edged ski. After three years of creating and refining,
Hartvig, Harry and friend Ed Bjork were ready. In 1955 the first "Hart"
metal-edged ski was introduced.
Gregg Manufacturing bought lumber for their skis from
Opelousas, LA. The Thistlethwaite Lumber Company was located in Opelousas
and was founded by John R. Thistlethwaite. The lumber company and saw
mill ran from 1917 thru the late 1930s.
Original text courtesy of Greg Fangel of WoodenSkis.com
Gregg Ski Mfg. Co. c. 1950 St. Paul, MN. - Hennepin County Library